The Garden's That We Build
I am dressed in my black leather trench coat, sunglasses revealing nothing under darkened sky. The winds of change are blowing and whip the tails of my coat around as I relax against the stone wall. I light my cigarette in one fast swoop; inhaling deeply as I allow the nicotene to enter my body. As I shake my head at what I am about to do the smoke leaves my body as if it is a spirit seeking its own life after entering mine. I look towards my right to where the The Gate is. She has been locked for way to long and rust has settled into her so that she is definitely going to be a bitch to open. The padlock keeping the thing in place is in even worse condition.. Fuck, I have been away far to long and have let things go to hell.
Pushing myself away from the wall I take a deep breath and walk up the steps to the gate. With lightening fast fury I kick the gate breaking the rusted iron off, watching as it falls to the ground.
Determined and my face set in stone I walk through the entry into what was given to me on the day of my birth. It has come such a long way since then. It has been with me every day of my life just waiting patiently for me to come back to her. She has been a good woman to me and I have neglected her so many times.
As I gaze across her expanse tears start to fall freely from my eyes. Weeds have over grown everything. The tall grass laying claim to the rest. The cobble stone path I had so meticulously laid out was now in shambles. The bench where i had professed my love so many times in the past was over turned. A fitting place for it after all I have seen and been through in this life.
Time to get to work I say as the depth of my neglect truly sets in......
Time Passes
You are walking down a fairly busy sidewalk and you notice a gated and walled structure that has never been there before. It is truly beautiful upon first glance and the overwhelming feeling of love and peace hit you like a ton of brick straight through the core as you walk towards the entrance hoping to get a glance at what lays beyond. Walking faster you notice that each stone is laid so perfectly against the next there is not a single trace of mortar holding the impressive structure together. All along the infinite wall there are stone benches carved so that each one is totally unique next to the other. Some of them have scenes that depict love, others war, some gargoyles. It is as if there is a story of life all about them but there isjust so much it over whelms you into carrying forward towards your goal of seeing what lies behind the gate.
You make it to your destination finally and realize that what you thought at first was the entrance is actually a recess with the gate another 30 feet down a corridor but you cannot see it except for the glint of a burning cigarette in the dark. Mesmorized by what is going on and by the need ot know what lies upon the other side of that blocked portal you jump as the man with the lit cigarette comes towards you out of the darkness. There is a power about him that you can feel, but you cannot place it.
A voice so deep it reminds you of gravel being crushed asks you a simple question Can I help you? Suddenly you feel the need to flee but you cannot. You are fixed to the spot with a thousand thoughts racing about your mind. Suddenly he grins a cocky half-smirk So you are here to see what is beyond the gate are you? The need to see suddenly is more than you can bare and just above a whisper you respond with a Yes.
We can do that, but first I must tell you what this structure is and who I am. Until we do that you will not be allowed under any circumstances to enter. Can you accept that?
He waits with a knowing smile upon his lips as you nod your head vigorously. Slowly he takes you to one of the stone benches and sits you down so that you are comfortable and begins the story.
This place that you have come to is a very, very special one. It shall always be a work in progress. Completion is not what this is about. You see, each and every one of us is a given a very very special place when we are created. This place is a garden one that no one else can ever take from you unless you let them, but even in that you still have ownership and it's care rests in your hands alone. At first it is always just a piece of earth. There are no trees, no grass, no weeds, in all truth it is just a place of rich soil waiting for its master to bend it to their will. Over time as our life goes on we begin to plant certain things, and watch those seeds grow. Sometimes they are extremely beautiful and the world takes notice and they want to share in the beauty or perhaps try to steal into your Garden one night and take them from you because jealousy is all that they know.
If you are an adept student of life you will begin to see the things I am talking about and will make sure that your Garden is protected so that you may tend it as needed but for the most part let it grow with the occassionally trimming and hedging here and there. At times you may have freinds come to vist and take tea with them in your courtyard under the branches of an oak or perhaps there is no oak but a splendid canopy of grape vines allowing you shade as you marvel at your life's work. This place is whatever you wish it to be. It can be everything or it can be nothing. During your life there will be many times where those around you who have failed in their task of maintaining and making their garden what it should be. You will then take time from your own work and help them get it reorganized , weeded, seeded, and possibly teach them how to lay coblestone paths or the myriad of other endless possiblities one could use to make their Special Place one that others will want to enjoy.
The danger in this is that the longer you spend in another's Garden the more chance you have at losing control of your own. This can be very detrimental to you as a Spirit, for you see that you have placed so much of yourself into this work if you begin to deny it the love and streangth and support it needs to thrive it will begin to deteriorate and die. With it's passing you too will begin to suffer as it did. You will no longer be fulfilled and all you shall feel is the hurt and lonliness of the loss. You will find many times that those you hadspent time helping have gone back to their old ways. The Gardens you taught them build, and helped to repair will be gone and in their place the same mess that was there when you began. They will be so self absorbed they will have no time to spare to help you with your Place, and in this you will begin to become bitter. Even possibly ending up as bad, or worse then they who have cast you aside and ignored your help.
Absorbing all that he has said you pause momentarily as you realize that the structure before you still has not been explained, and you bluntly tell him so.
Patience my friend we are getting to that. It was important for you to understand what has gone before so that you may now see that what I am about to show you is the most wonderous thing in this life. There will be no other object, thought, desire, want, need, or lust that can come close.
Beyond the gates set before us is a place that He created. You interrupt the speaker with a question, Who is He? If you do not mind me asking...
No I don't mind at all in fact I have been hoping you would ask me so that I may now give you the details that will give you the truest understanding of what and who I am. My name is Seeker and I was created to be the guardian of this place. He let me live so that he could always make sure his Garden was kept up as he was helping others with theirs. This place can lay dormant and will not need any tending until the time is right and Fate brings them together.
But who is He? They...? Now there is another person involved you are totally confusing me! Spit it out man and quit doing the mystical voodoo hoodoo to me and give me the shit straight and to the fucking point! You almost yell feeling the furious that it is taking so very long to get the answers you seek so that you may gain entrance.
Waiting for your outburst to settle down he continues, This place has no They as of yet. In time she will come and visit it with Him and together they will create something that no other creature can truly experience in this world. My place in all this? Like I said I am just the guardian making sure that it is ready for when the time comes. I will be here to open the gates and let them pass and as they enter I will give them their time alone as I shut the gates behind them so that no one may enter and tresspass upon that sacred ground. For now though He has seen to many men and women forget that they too need to create their own place such as this and that is why you have been called here so that I may teach and show you the way Love should be handled and how it can come together at any point in time.
He smoothly stands from his seated position and takes your hand helping you to your feet. Walking silently towards the darkened entrance Seeker stops just before the iron gate and you hear a click as the padlock keeping this doorway sealed opens slowly.
Before we enter I want you to understand that nothing must be disturbed do you understand? He says his voice cold as stone and the friendliness all but gone now. The look he gives you in the dim light is so strong you can feel his gaze touching your very Spirit and you know he means business. You give the affirmative and wait as he opens the gate.
Nothing... You see Absoluting nothing but a gray mist thought the open door. He had me sit through all that shit just for this? You think to yourself as you begin to frown at the wasited time and effort. To Hell with it all you walk through and into fresh spring air and a sunlight so beautiful that you feel as if God's Angels themselves must be providing the lighting for this remarkable world. Taking in everything at once you realize that before you is a simple cobblestone pathway, one that you would most likely find in any garden in the world, and that there is nothing else but a stone bench a few hundred paces down the way. The remaining space is dirt, as far as the eye can see in both directions there is nothing but dirt. How can this be? You want to scream, but somewhere deep down inside you do not really say anything. You look over to your companion and he is intently focused upon the only thing of ornamental value in this supposedly special place where HE and She and They will be coming at whatever time and place Fate decides.
Looking over towards my guest I realize that perhaps they were not the one intended for this pleasure and experience, but the Master gave explicit orders and carried out they shall. Tired of the preamble I make my way to the Bench and sit down heavily as I awaut the visitor. Moments later I hear footsteps amid the silence as they come behind me and slowly seat themselves as well. Let's get this over with so I can get back to my smoke, I think to myself as I look down towards a spot that is 7 feet in front of me.
So you are here finally and this is what the place is all about friend. Do you see that circle of stone before you with the hollow center? We will not be going any closer to that space than we are now but I am going to explain what it is to you so that you may truly understand. The circle of stone itself is divided into two seperate pieces. If you follow the outline down the center you will see that they make the Yin and Yang. Two halves of a whole joined here in the center of His universe. On the day that they are ready He will bring the Woman of his dreams. His "ONE" and together in silence they will walk hand in hand to that very spot and will bend down and place the seed for their Rose. This single rose will begin to grow and be nourished by their love and guidance. If they fail to work together in keeping it alive so to shall their relationship falter. Together they will come here and look after the beauty that they have created and will feed it ,water it, and work it together. Here there will be no weeds, only beauty. At times one of them may leave so that they can tend their own personal garden but at no time should either of them ever leave their rose untended. As time goes on and their love grows deeper this whole world of His and Hers will be expanded upon. Just as with your own Garden this too shall become whatever they make it. Their can be statues, waterfalls, mazes to play hide and seek inside of. It can be anything they want. The thing that is of most interest to Him is that once They have gotten a good foothold on the designs and plans of their special place, it will become an open event for everyone to attend. They will want this place to be visited and perhaps some of their flowers clipped and taken and planted in another Garden. They wil want others to learn and see the beauty of their union and be enlightend and so happy to be allowed to share in it that they too will go forth and find their One so that they may have the happiness He shares with the love of his life. The One for whom he has waited an eternity on finding.
Looking over I see tears of joy slipping down the face of the person I was supposed to teach this to. Are they sad? Are they happy? Who knows...... It is time to leave and with that I walk with my new friend in tow realizing that Yes she sees the beauty and remarkable Love that is carried in this place and that she will spread the message she has been taught.
As she walks out into the light of the Real World I lean back into the darkness I inhale on my cigarette letting the world go by as I wait and guard His most miraculous of places.....

8 Comments:
That was beautiful and haunting and... lonely.
Thanks for the input ladies.... It's nice to know that I have two readers out there.
This is a really meloncholy, lovely story. I like the idea of a garden, because no matter how many times plants are destroyed, they always can grow back- beautiful...
Shit I have recieved a couple private emails saying it is dark and lonely, now meloncholy too! I have to reread this bitch to find out. I thought it was a good story. one of love and life and work and reward do you not see that stuff?
Don't you see, that's the beauty of it- the patience and faith... tending the garden alone but with the certainty that you won't be alone there forever. A story is like a painting- it can represent different things to different people. Just accept that I thought it was wonderful and touching.
Yes I know Tsarina...If you will recall, I wrote the story hun... I didnt know it would seem that dark, but after re-reading it I suppose in a way it is, but it offers hope and light as well. Sorry for the typo's and grammatical mistakes but we have been through all of that before. If someone ever wants to pay me the time it would take for perfection then so it will be lol. Until then just read through the garbage and enjoy what you can.
Oh and thanks for the positive remarks I wasn't sure that you really liked it.
SLACKER, POST SOMETHING!!! (Yeah, I got to do it to you for a change!)
THAT was a trip!
Post a Comment
<< Home